At North Park Wesleyan, Our Values Are R.O.C.K. Solid
- We are a church with a Radiant Faith.
- We live by faith, trusting God to bring transformation to our lives and the lives we touch.
- We are a church with an Obedient Spirit.
- We willingly follow the Lord in obedience to the teaching of His Word and the guidance of His Spirit.
- We are a church with a Christ-centered Heart.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is at the heart of all that we desire and all that we do.
- We are a church with a Kingdom Mindset.
- We live with the realization that we are pilgrims here and we have to seek first God’s kingdom and His righteousness above everything else.
We exist to bring people to Christ, to help them become true followers of Christ, so that they can, in turn, bring other people to Christ.
Equipping and empowering churches for Great Commission ministries in the spirit of the Great Commandment.
To exalt Jesus Christ by:
- Evangelizing the lost
- Discipling the believers
- Equipping the Church
- Ministering to Society
TIMELINE OF THE NORTH PARK WESLEYAN CHURCH 1895 – Present
1895: Sunday School and prayer meetings are held in the home of Louis & Bertha Decker, but ministry outgrows their home within three years.
1898: Double tenement house is rented. Samuel & Ophelia Montgomery join the Deckers in the ministry; Rev. G. W. Groshart is called as the first pastor.
1901: Sunday school has increased to 125! Two lots purchased on Fulton Avenue beside the railroad tracks. Former Blankenburg Baptist Church (24’ x 50’) is re-located on the property and it becomes the Fulton Avenue Holiness Mission.
1914: The church is organized as the Fulton Avenue Apostolic Holiness Church with 40 charter members, on December 14, 1914.
1922: After other denominational mergers, the church becomes the First Pilgrim Holiness Church.
1936–1938: A series of remodeling projects add a basement and enlarge the sanctuary. During Homecoming services in May 1943, the mortgage is burned on property and improvements. Rev. Melvin Snyder, grandson of Rev. G.W. Groshart, is the featured speaker.
1940’s: Further improvements are made to the building, adding a vestibule and new siding.
1953–1955: Lots are purchased on First Avenue and the new church is built primarily by the men of the church.
1955: Moving Day – April 5, 1955! Rev. Area Montgomery preached the final sermon in the old church on Fulton Avenue; Rev. Willis Clock delivered the first sermon in the new church on First Avenue.
1974: The church once again celebrated a mortgage burning on September 15, 1974, paying off the debt on the new building in only 19 years! Dr. Melvin Snyder is invited back to bring the message.
1990’s: The sanctuary is remodeled, adding a baptistery and reconfiguring the platform.
2002: A 60’ x 100’ steel frame building is constructed that will serve as a fellowship hall and recreation area. It is dedicated as the Lighthouse Christian Life Center.
2010: A new wood deck and handicap ramp is built on the west side of the church.
2011: The 25’ x 60’ upstairs area of the Christian Life Center is developed into a Youth Room and is dedicated October 23, 2011.
2015: In the past year, the congregation has concluded that we should remain at 3360 First Avenue until the Lord moves us on. In light of that conclusion, 28 paved parking spaces have been added, and further improvements will be made to the property. Among those new parking spaces are 7 in front that now makes the front doors of the church necessary, after many years of un-use.
2016: The purchase of the home immediately to the north of the church was completed early in the year. After much consideration, the church has decided to keep this house, named the Faith House, available for ministry instead of renting it out. It has been used a few times to house visiting missionaries and an evangelist and as temporary housing for a family in need. When not otherwise occupied, it is used as a Sunday school class and for a women’s prayer group.
2016-2017 Major remodeling has been done to create handicapped-accessible restrooms and a nice sized foyer. New entrance doors have been installed on the east side. We have completely upgraded the HVAC system, installing 3 new furnaces and air conditioning units, for a much more comfortable experience. We expect that a new electronic message center will be installed in October, 2017 and will provide travelers up and down First Avenue with inspirational messages as well as announcements about church activities. A new heat pump has been installed for the kitchen & rest room areas of the Christian Life Center. The video projector and screen has been replaced by two 70″ video monitors for use in worship services. A new sound room has been built in a portion of the nursery. Replacement of the windows on the sanctuary level has begun. All of this remodeling has been done without borrowing money.
To God be the glory!
The Wesleyan Church
The Wesleyan Church was founded in 1968 when the Wesleyan Methodist Church and the Pilgrim Holiness Church merged. The new denomination was shaped by the Wesleyan Methodists’ appreciation for structure combining with the Pilgrims’ entrepreneurial spirit.
Our earliest beginnings, however, were in 1843 when our leaders organized to address social issues through The Wesleyan Methodist Connection of America. Those issues included slavery, women’s rights and child labor atrocities. We were one of the first denominations in America to ordain women and were at the forefront of giving laity significant roles in church leadership.
John Wesley, a Church of England priest, was the inspiration and founder of the Methodist movement. Our name “Wesleyan” honors him.
Wesley was an outstanding Oxford scholar, yet regarded himself as “a man of one book,” the Bible. It was while studying the Bible that Wesley received assurance of his salvation through faith. It was the Bible that motivated his vision for offering Christ to the common people of England and which eventually led to the nation’s greatest spiritual revival.
Biblical truth inspired Wesley to develop a school for orphans, job programs and medical assistance for the poor, efforts to reform inhumane prisons and arguments for the abolition of slavery. Confidence in the Bible as “the only and sufficient rule for Christian faith and practice” (to use Wesley’s own words) remains a hallmark of The Wesleyan Church today.
For more about The Wesleyan Church, please go to the website: https://www.wesleyan.org/about